Friday, July 10

worth keeping

I, a person who generally refuses to purchase any book or film or other thing that can be checked out at the library or downloaded from the internet, went and ordered the boxed set of all four seasons of The Good Place television series some weeks ago. when it eventually arrived, we devoured the bonus features (bloopers from each season, some special effects stuff, and a recording of the 2019 Comic-Con panel). I'm eager to rewatch the series proper all over again, but it really hasn't been that long since the last watch... so I'm waiting until it feels utterly necessary.

The Good Place has become my comfort show. despite the fact that it's contrary to my nature to rewatch things much, I basically can't get enough of this particular bunch of half-hour-long television episodes. the series is clever and deep and has plenty of texture to reward multiple watchings. there's also a great podcast, where the actors and producers and others involved in the show talk about each episode-- so after listening, you can go back to that episode with extra insights about what it took to create it.

and now, I have directors' commentary and such. so much potential for rewatchability.

The Good Place main cast (image borrowed from wherever on the internet)

it's hard to list many other serial stories I've gotten so very attached to. Discworld, undeniably. and the Chronicles of Narnia were very exciting to me as a child. I once was obsessed with Xena: Warrior Princess to the point where I begged mum to buy a pattern for a Xena costume. (the costume never did get made, though, I don't think.)

one of the only other series that has maintained my fascination and devotion beyond the youthful obsession phase is Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials. such a world! such piercing philosophizing, even for a young adult book. I own a nice boxed set of the original trilogy and will keep it forever.

last year, HBO released a television adaptation of the books. in preparation for watching it, I reread The Golden Compass. and paged idly through the other two. and then--partly because I had a gift card to use and partly because I already owned the other three and trusted that any more of this fantasy world would be worth owning too--I bought a paperback of Pullman's La Belle Sauvage (book #1 of his new series, The Book of Dust).

I loved it. it's very different from Lyra's initial adventures, but also not. there was suspense, so much beauty, all in that similarly thoughtful, delightful style.

once I'd devoured that and nestled into my shelf next to its predecessors, I searched about for book #2. but as it didn't yet exist and wouldn't be in paperback for who knows how long, I resorted to having the library buy a copy for me. they kindly did so, and I finished The Secret Commonweath just in time for the premier of the television show.

HBO's His Dark Materials promo image (borrowed from wherever on the internet)

it wasn't perfect, but I liked a whole ton of things about it. Lee Scorseby played by Lin Manuel Miranda! and the Gyptians! they're not at all what I imagined in my head but I adore how they're portrayed here anyway.

I look forward to the next season, and however many seasons they'll do of the show. but I don't think it'll be worth owning in a boxed set. I may not ever rewatch any of it, either.

but I'll reread those books. I'll read them and reread them to my grandchildren if I ever have any.

is The Secret Commonwealth in paperback yet? (not yet... but the local indie bookstore does have it for preorder, so...)

No comments: