Friday, April 10

cupcakes and junkyards

I have been scouring craigslist for a car that is not too old but also not more expensive than $3000. I have a preference for hondas.

I have been flipping through pages and pages of etsy, pondering what unique, handmade thing I might offer upon its crafty little altars. perhaps one of these?

both etsy and craigslist are pretty much household names by now. they are things that are there. not that we especially need them, but they're there. in case. we know where to find them. they are easy to spell.

a few years ago I sold my old car for cheap on craigslist. that was useful.

my encounter with etsy hasn't yet crossed over from mere browsing to actual participation. I'm not sure what it's going to take, but someday I might be ready for that kind of commitment.

the difference between etsy and craigslist is almost as stark as the difference between a tidy little boutique on a sunny downtown street and a semi-organized scrapheap tucked behind some kind of pub. exploring craigslist is a grey and frustrating adventure for me. there are no cars in this scrapheap that are worth my small pocketful of spendable cash. exploring etsy has not been much more profitable, because everything I see I figure I probably could recreate myself if I really wanted, but it is an inspiring little stroll, lit up by the cheerful community chattering behind the counter.

in effect they are the same website: space to sell things, space to buy things, and space to talk about those exchanges. in effect, that's what the entire internet has become. it's all one giant conversation with money sprinkled on top.

No comments: