Wednesday, July 22

today is Wednesday.

Field Notes sends me emails every so often (it's okay, I invited them to), almost always on Wednesdays, announcing the random Wednesday promotions and such that they have. today was such a Wednesday. I've never yet taken advantage of such a sale, but I love the idea of it. in their announcements about these sales they always say something like "you don't even have to be aware of this deal-- as long as you buy something from our shop today, you get the free stuff and the discount and it's all good." someday I will, probably, hopefully, happen to be able to buy something awesome from them on a Wednesday when there will be free stuff.

this Wednesday, perhaps for you too, doesn't really feel like one. it sort of feels like a Sunday instead. naps. a little rainfall. no pressure from the outside world to do anything in particular.

it's been nice, overall. the most productive thing I've done so far was pasta making.

flour and egg to make pasta; also our new Henckles chef's knife in the background

one of our most awesome wedding presents was a pasta machine. it's very nice to have.

I didn't use it for pasta rolling today though. the lovely little thing can be a hassle to assemble, and it's tricky to find the right corner of the table to clamp it to, and the spaghetti attachment tends to squeak terribly anyway. so today I used a rolling pin and settled for rather thick noodles. they're fine, if rough. it's all good.

the basic rough egg pasta noodles I made today were made specifically to go with this mushroom bourguignon recipe. that was the other productive thing I did this afternoon. unfortunately, I slightly undercooked the carrots. but nevertheless, it's one of our favourite things to eat and it's worth the relative complexity involved in making it. highly recommended.

No comments: