Wednesday, December 21

misfit?

A List Apart is a great place for articles on all sorts of different aspects of the web. I've just been reading The Declination of Independence
by Ryan Holsten, Michael Krisher, and Brandon Oelling:

As designers and technologists, we have embraced the web wholeheartedly and are committed to taking it to higher levels of sophistication, visualization, and interaction. We have gladly accepted the challenge of building a face for the glorious new technologies bestowed upon us.

And that got me thinking. Maybe I call myself a designer. Maybe I'm getting better at the technology side of it. The web is definitely a part of my little life. So what?

I'm not committed to taking the web anywhere. I'm not nearly advanced enough to be a part of that kind of development. I think the most I can hope for is that I'll someday be competent enough to contribute beauty and meaning to the world via this insanely everchanging medium. At base I am just an english major. just a writer given a tiny bit of dangerous knowledge. I don't know where that will take me.

one voice says to me, you can go however far you want.
and my response to that is, how far is that, eh?

another voice says to me, don't try and do too much.
and in response to that i simply stare in wonder, imagining all the muchness there is in the world, thinking, how much is too much? how much is not enough?

and i still believe there are very few set-in-stone answers. and sometimes the questions are all that matter.

[more: notsomisfit post jan 24, 2006]

No comments: