Tuesday, April 30

some things that matter

what small things can I celebrate, here in the middle of a stressful end-of-semester?

grading for spring semester is pretty much done, as of this morning. if nothing else, the fun summer relaxation plans are starting to outnumber the much less-fun work-related plans in my calendar for the next two weeks. all of that feels really good. 

here are a few more mini-celebrations from the stuff I've spent time on over the past 9 months or so, in no particular order, just to make into a list:

  • sold some of my own handmade yarn
  • fixed up my bike and biked around a fair bit
  • planted some honeysuckle, some iris, a few daylillies, and some raspberry plants
  • started up this new little interview podcast with the help of a former student (now research assistant)
  • adopted a silly new puppy (his name is Faramir and he is twice as good a puppy as Hamilton ever was, so far anyway) 
two pugs stretched lazily across the sofa

  • visited Albuquerque for a conference and, more notably, to hang out with dear Kelli for a grand evening of sight-seeing and food and crafting time
  • took a fun spinning class about color combinations
eight tiny skeins of sample yarn, mostly blue and pink with other colors mixed in.
 
  • finished some knitting projects that I actually wear and love
  • started more knitting that I will actually wear and love. hopefully. 
knitted ribbing and honeycomb pattern of a purple cardigan in progress, being knit on circular needles

little things. but I might as well look for the scraps of beauty I am lucky enough to see, even while the world spins more deeply into chaos, eh?

No comments: