Monday, July 11

more knitting mishaps

a month or two ago I came across this almost-finished fingerless mitt in one of my craft piles. the rest of the thumb is all that needs knitting (still, I confess, even now at the time of this writing). 

a grey fingerless mitten, thumb unfinished

but it did need a partner. I have two hands, and if one hand is cold the other probably is too. you know how it is.

but because finishing the thumb of this fingerless mitt did not sound like the most entertaining knitting task at the time, I instead fished up the leftover grey yarn from another craft pile and started on the cuff of the second mitt. I figured I would get them both to the same point of thumblessness and then do both thumbs in succession. easy. a perfect plan.

one small ball of grey yarn being knit slowly into a mitten; new set of needles just visible in the corner

so that's what I did. or rather, started to do. and then... 

mishap the first:
I absently knitted right past the point where I should've started increasing for the thumb gusset section... so I had to tear several rows back and then go find the actual pattern to reference properly, rework it, and then... 

mishap the second:
somehow I lost one of my double-pointed bamboo needles. little Hamilton is most likely to blame... but did he chew up a whole knitting needle? or did he just hide it insufferably impossibly well somewhere?

I may never know. 

but what I do know, after the discovery that we'll just have to count as...

mishap the third:
... is that all this recent mitt knitting was completely pointless!

for lo and behold-- after searching at three different craft stores in three different states while I was traveling in May, and after finally purchasing new double-pointed needles of the apparently rare size of 2.5 (or 3mm)-- lo and behold what did I find when I tidied and sorted out my horde of craft things the other week? 

I found one full and complete version of this same fingerless mitt, just waiting for its thumbless partner to match.

one small ball of grey yarn, one just-begun mitten cuff, and two other mitts, one finished and one just missing a thumb

here they all are together, an almost trio. I don't think there is yarn enough for two full pairs. I'll have to think of something else for this grey yarn. something simpler. without pesky thumb sections.

(none of this was at all as thrilling as my wintertime knitting mishap of eight months ago, by the way.)

in the meantime, the poor, unnecessary third cuff shall be ripped back one final time.

and eventually, someday, I'll have to get on with knitting that unfinished thumb after all.

No comments: