Thursday, June 30

one week later

top-down closeup of my old spinning wheel

from what I've seen around the internet this week, plenty of people name their spinning wheels. I'm still thinking about what this one might want to be called. Angelica? Penelope? suggestions are welcome. 

both wheel posts on a drop cloth-- one black with grime, one clean(er) wood

almost every day in the past week, I've spent at least a little time scrubbing grime off of her various parts. there's actually paint underneath-- a yellow/tan sort of color. 

don't worry-- I'm plotting a comprehensive, photo-filled documentation of the whole "cleaning/fixing/learning-to-use my antique spinning wheel" process. stay tuned. 

spinning wheel drive wheel, partially cleaned

so far, from a group of antique wheel experts and aficionados on Ravelry, I've learned that this wheel was likely made in Canada by a family of wheelmakers called Paradis. I haven't dug much deeper into them yet, but one kind commenter estimated a date between 1860‐1870. 

if it is that old, it is in pretty remarkable shape for its 150 years. well cared for, I imagine. 

I hope I can also care for it well enough for it to last at least one more lifetime. 

No comments: