Wednesday, October 26

you might call it mortadella, but that's not the same thing

way back, I came across this insane thing its creator calls a 'cult appetizer.'

completely awesome.

right?

don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks so. surely I'm not the only one who upon seeing photographs of that absolutely fantastic arrangement of bologna, cream cheese, and processed orange goo, simply knew that she'd have to create her own version of the masterpiece. I couldn't not.
I used mashed potatoes (because we had some at the time) and not ranch-flavored cream cheese. and I used a handful of actual cheddar, not any of that aerosol nonsense.

also: who needs crackers?
this version is warm, the bologna on the verge of crispy, the cheese nicely melted. it's reminiscent of my childhood. mum used to pile mashed potatoes on single slices of bologna, cap with a bit of cheese, and bake the 'mountains' in the oven for a few minutes. I always loved that. mm.
this version just has a few layers. a sedimentary bologna mountain, you might say. so lovely. I'll have to make it again someday.

in the meantime, to continue this mini-celebration of how wonderful bologna truly is: here, at the bottom of this duet of superbowl party appetizers, you will find a most beautiful fried bologna sandwich, just in case you also love this specific type of over-processed lunchmeat.

there are at least a few of you who do, aren't there?

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm hungry.

Amelia Chesley said...

me too. always.

Kara said...

hm... i remember liking those... but.... i think it might need broccoli or something to redeem it.

Amelia Chesley said...

broccoli-- perfect. trees to go with the mountains. yeah...