Friday, May 6

not-so-frameless

it's too late to do much about this idea, but I think it would've been cool to have kept a scrapbook of sorts, just full of photos from every room I've ever slept in.

I guess it wouldn't make a ton of sense, but projects like that rarely do.
since it would not be practical to go back and re-stage all my old bedrooms for photo-taking, the most I can do is sift through any photos I may happen to have already and put them somewhere with dates and notes and whatever else I feel like including. example: above is the room I slept in for the last half of 2006, in a middle-of-nowhere house in a town with a population of 271 people. yes, that is a poster of Jack Sparrow. familiar essentials are strewn on the bed: books, water bottle, pens and pencils.


really when I think about this potential collection of photographs, I think about the windows of these rooms, each one nothing more than a bit of glass between my inner life and the rest of the world. they frame that outside world in a such a solid, comfortable way. that's why they've all stuck in my memory, I guess. you get used to the way things look through those windows. that tree and those sand volleyball courts-- or that narrow back garden and the corrugated tin roof of the shed-- or the wide, shady sidewalks and carefully planted flowerbeds with pink and purple pansies.

but not all of them stick quite so well. not all of them were rooms that I stayed in very long. that's why it would be nice to have pictures.

I guess I should be grateful I have the few random pictures I have. these bay windows with the orangey curtains look out on a faraway March. there was a couch underneath. a handful of awesome people let me sleep on it for a couple of nights. they also taught me a bit about how to play cricket. sort of.

I don't know why I took these pictures at all. I didn't have this project in mind then, I don't think. maybe I just liked the light. the hedge. something.

even if it's too late to photographically catalogue the windows of all the rooms I've ever slept in up til now, I guess it's not too late to start such a project. and if all the miscellaneous projects I assign myself from time to time didn't tend to fade away into nothing (example: shakespeare project--though I may revive it for the summer, if I can), I might be more inclined to try it.

3 comments:

Nic said...

It took me a surprisingly long time to realise that that was our house! The curtains were horrible. With mould. But I loved that house :D

I am impressed with the Captain Jack Sparrow poster.

I have wondered before what percentage of houses in my village I have been in - I reckon a lot, even if I just briefly went in to call for someone when I was little.

P.S this comment is brought to you thanks to the computers of Hunstanton library.

Nic said...

Also, do you still have the pictures we took in the garden?

Amelia Chesley said...

I do, yes. and also one random video from when chris stuck the camera on 'record' for whatever sneaky reason.

and hurrah for libraries! :)