Wednesday, August 18

unfinished

books brought home from the library:
Makers by Cory Doctorow
Very Good, Jeeves! by P.G.Wodehouse
The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain
Cultural Amnesia by Clive James
I Thought My Father was God by Paul Auster

books read:
half of Makers
The Diaries of Adam and Eve
Very Good, Jeeves!

and I just brought home those other two today. very fat hardcover books they are, so it may take me a moment to get up my courage for them. I expect they will not be the carry-around-in-your-handbag-so-you-don't-die-of-boredom-when-you-get-stuck-at-the-automechanic's type books. paperbacks are always preferable for that sort of thing. these will turn out to be more like the sit-on-your-windowsill-to-read-before-bed type, I think.

I failed to finish the Doctorow, even though it was turning out to be decent research, really. but it was a book with a lot of character and a lot of ideology and not so much plot. and there are too many books in the world to waste time forcing yourself to turn pages.

somewhat relatedly: a while back--I can't remember exactly when--a quartet of us sat down in our living room and decided to have a little read-a-thon. we each took a book and a comfortable spot to relax, and we read.

every fifteen minutes, when the grandfather clock spoke up to remind us that another quarter-hour had passed, we stopped and read one sentence aloud from wherever we happened to be in our respective books.

it was quite entertaining.

if you get the chance, try it.

No comments: