Wednesday, July 4

an affinity for amnesiacs

the longest work of fiction i have ever pulled out of my own head is (today) 106, 494 words long.

like several of my other writings this one began as a frivolous way to entertain a few friends, to keep my mind in a playful mood. i never thought it would get so long, but as it turns out, writing in first person this way means keeping secrets from yourself. secrets like the way it should end.

today i tried out my crazy mythical universe on a third-person narrative. i traded my female protagonist in for an eleven-year-old pirate. for the last few weeks i've been turning several plot ideas over and over in my head and finally, this morning, i came out with this short little thing, about 1/100th of the size of the piece it's based on.

unlike the original unfinished story, this spinoff had the luxury of being revised several times. i like it. it sheds a rather eerie light on several things i've been trying to think into The Plaid Identity. strange, what another perspective can do for a story.

oh. did you want a crack at those hundred thousand words?

hold on a second...

there:
The Plaid Identity
as of July 4, 2007

No comments: