Saturday, April 21

books

it is hard to tell people about books they haven't read.

what's it called? Gain. by Richard Powers.

it's about a soap company and a woman who gets cancer.

what does that tell you? absolutely nothing about all the things I am seeing in this book. all things there are to see in it.

I could say it is very historical. descriptive. slow but not in dull way. full of implications. almost painfully realistic, chronicling as it does the deterioration of this woman who has two kids and loves to garden.

I could say how intriguing it was to watch this company grow from making soap by hand in a tiny back room in the 1800s to maintaining factories in dozens of countries, making more and more money every year while at the same time this mother is losing her security, her strength, her job, and her life. the symmetry was beautifully subtle.

I could say all this stuff, if anyone would listen. but it seems all anyone cares to hear is title, author, yeah, it's a good book. and maybe they'll note it down for later. perhaps nobody will see the story the way I see it anyhow, so why bother? hmm.

on a completely different topic, yesterday I experimented with making books.
finally, a use for all the scrap paper I have lying around, waiting for a chance to scribble on. i loosely followed this little tutorial [link now broken], substituting magazine pages and envelopes for photograph covers.

I'm sure I will find all sorts of secretive, brilliant things to write in them.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Ditto Gormenghast. You were all 'but it's just archetypes' until you read the thing. :P

Amelia Chesley said...

so it goes.

(since reading slaughterhouse five, i am very sure i will be tempted to say 'so it goes' all the time.)