Wednesday, October 4

unfractalized

i've been developing a rather pointless but interesting infatuation with my camera phone.
so i was thinking about that epitome of the interactive web explosion, flickr.com. why bother thumbnailing and organizing all my silly photographs myself when i can get flickr and its millions of patrons to do it for me? right?

the answer is: i don't want to have to register for an account, nor remember yet another password. i've got enough of those. once upon a time i did have a yahoo account. i don't know if they would've let me use that on flickr. it expired years ago. gmail has taken its place and done a much much better job of it, i do declare.

my geeky brother has this vision of a day when all applications are one application, a day when you don't have to connect or reconnect, or disconnect, when you don't have to log in to anything and you don't have to download software updates or any of that junk. a day when it will all be as smooth as butter.

maybe he's insane.

maybe he should go write a science fiction novel. that would be cool.

anyway, regardless of geeky visions and expired yahoo accounts, life is fragmented. i've felt this for a long time. i remember writing in my journal as a fourteen-year-old, bemoaning the fact that i had a school-life, a family-life, a church-life, an all-by-myself-life, and none of them matched up. nothing's changed. it all just keeps mounting up on top of those memories. work-life, me-life, church-life, daughter-life, whatever-life. there's the hotmail account, two gmail accounts, facebook, a very very neglected juno account, and who even knows what else.

logging in and out is a pain. a necessary pain, i'm sure, but still annoying.

the fragmented nature of life is interesting. it reminds me of romantic poetry class, held upstairs in the literature building on the exmouth campus of the university. and of studying the beginnings of postmodernism.

and postmodernism reminded me of this.

and that reminds me that there are billions of things i need to learn. want to learn. when will i start learning them?

(i miss academia)

No comments: